Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bolton Valley ski weekend

Up, up and away we went to the lovely Vermont mountains at Bolton Valley. These kids are turning into crazed ski bums as they whip up and down the mountains with relative ease. You want cold, come to Vermont. It was hovering near zero the first day. It was colder a couple of years ago when we came, but still frigid like crazy. The kids took ski lessons every day and spent alot of time on the mountain with the ski instructors. Catherine didnt quite make it that long, but we expected that. She didnt like falling down so much so she ended up doing a whole lot more sledding than skiing. Jimmy, Laura, Jacob and Emily were impressive with the way they were flying around. For the first time, Laura went on the chair lift and was showing off by the end of the day.
Two years ago I bought this ridiculous yellow hat and it has been a staple in the winter wardrobe ever since. I'm a trend setter.
After having multiple needles stuck in my back on Thursday I ended up going on the mountain on Saturday, like the dope that I am. Every run I took a legendary spill. I went up with Jamie, Jimmy and Jacob. At some point, after being violated by the mountains, the kids wanted to go into the hotel rooms. Thankfully, Jamie understood when I told him that I cant leave until I make ONE run without falling. So off to the top and I had my one run without incident.
My body is absofreakinglutely killing me. Wonder what the doctor will say about this set of circumstances....
At night the kids went over to the hall where the gym and the pool is located. Friday we all went swimming. Catherine hung to the edge until I carried her and Erin around while the other buggahs went from the deep end all around the pool.
Saturday night was more of the same thing except that Jimmy didnt go swimming, he ended up playing basketball for hours with some of the cousing and others who were there in another group. His style is more of tackle basketball. Now that he is in a league he's starting to really get into hoops. This is one sport where he'll have to look elsewhere for guidance. It doesnt really matter though just so long as he keeps the smile on his face....thats the plan and up until now we havent had to bring him to one game or practice kicking or screaming.
The nightlife was another story. Friday night I ended up going out for a couple of drinks with Lyn. We ran into a bunch of family members and the local lager was really, really good. Umple Eddie was coming up at around midnight so after Lyn went back to the hotel room I stayed and hung out with the young cousins and thier twenty something year old gal pals. The party spilled off into one of their hotel rooms, lots of laughs later umple eddie phoned and was at the hotel so that was it for me. I have to be reminded some times that I'm not twenty anymore. Needless to say we had some fun though.
The next night, Eddie, Lyn and I ended up back at the bar for a night of singing and entertaining. Apparently, the night before was quite a hit with the younger crowd as I recieved a thunderious round of applause upon my entry. I'm still trying to remember what happened. Cousin Jimmy Pie filled Lyn in with the background of what did happen and I guess it was a pretty fun time, maybe he'll fill me in too.
The kids really had a great time. One thing is certain is if there is a sport, Jimmy will be all over it. Laura was quite a surprise as she improved so much in two short days. She was so smiley and cute telling us all about her whole day. Catherine was Catherine, which means that she loved every moment of the time she spent there. Even though she couldnt really keep up on ski's, she loved going sledding and she and Erin were even making me snow cakes. She is so happy all the time, its still so fun just to watch her.
Last but not least my little buggah Jack stayed with aunt Jo while we were gone. I missed the little buggah. Tonight before he went to bed, he and I sat on his Red Sox directors chair and watched the Fire Truck show and Blue's clues for some time. He seemed to have quite the time with Auntie Jo. Auntie was surprised I didnt call her every five minutes, I am too, but I did call and Lyn did call but it was amazing how quickly everythign went up there. There wasnt much sitting around and waiting.


























2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the hat. You make us all so proud!

Anonymous said...

you are a trendsetter thats what you are.